Game Play Designer (Chicago)
Summary of Position
Reliance Games seeks Game Play Designer to join its Chicago office, located in the downtown city center.
The Gameplay Designer will set the vision for gameplay design in the game, drive that vision by directly building gameplay mechanics that demonstrate the vision, and work with others to achieve an understanding of the vision that is consistent throughout all gameplay mechanics built for the game.
Roles & Responsibilities
Understand the high level vision of the game and be able to translate the vision into game design standards that can be used by everyone to build all of the gameplay mechanics in the game.
Rapidly prototype gameplay mechanics within a proprietary engine and toolset.
Work with multidisciplinary teams to build towards the definition of gameplay design standards for the experience and guide the incorporation of the standards into all other gameplay mechanics with vigilance.
Continue to iterate on gameplay throughout the project phases from concept to final.
Rapidly respond to and iterate on team and player feedback.
Proactively identify issues reducing the ability of the team to do their best work.
Mentor or manage one or more game designers directly.
To do this, you will be responsible to design the virtual products a game will offer, define metrics that allow you to individually measure their impact in a given title, and work closely with the development team to see those designs refined and metrics implemented.
Once the game is launched, you’re able to analyze the collected data and report which are the performing/underperforming aspects of the game economic model
- Design, implement, tune, and balance game systems, economies, and progression
- Collaborate with the engineers, UX/UI artisans, QA, and Live Ops teams to create addictive, compelling play experiences that will delight users for years
- Continually iterate, balance and tune features, gameplay and game economies based on feedback and metrics from the game team, user testing, and the broader player community
- Create design docs, drawings, diagrams, flowcharts, and any other necessary documents to communicate design functionality and vision
- Strong analytical and formal thinking, able to define key variables and identify the relations between them
- Strong econometrics skills, able to model problems into quantitative systems, and draw qualitative conclusions out of quantitative data
- Statistics knowledge, able to formulate ratios and indexes specific to each game, identifying specific weaknesses and strengths in its economy design
- Analyze the evolution of the metrics you defined to spot both monetization bottlenecks and facilitators, then report suggestions for the game design or strategy accordingly.
- Work closely with the Studio Directors, PM team to review and design monetization-based analytics.
- Programming Experience (C#).
- Photoshop & Level Design.
- Understand and can articulate the fundamentals of gameplay design as it relates to modern games.
- Been through one complete development cycle of a modern product from concept to ship.
- Can take the high level vision of the game and translate it into gameplay design that matches the vision.
- Deep knowledge of gacha-based economies
- Deep, up-to-date knowledge of the free-to-play marketon smartphones
- Minimum 3 years of game design experience on commercially successful games.
- Specialized education in Game Design and/or extensive experience in the design of free-to-play games, preferably on mobile platforms
- Detailed understanding of mobile players’ behaviors and latest business models’ trends
- Familiarity with Unity
- Proficiency with Excel and/or Google Sheets
- Shipped titles on iOS and Android
- Experience supporting a live game on iOS and Android
- Experience in Action, RPG, and/or strategy game economy and progression systems
- Deep knowledge of MMO and/or free-to-play gameplay and monetization systems.
- Experience with character collection as a driver is a plus.
Reliance Games is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer **Successful applicants will be asked to show proof that they can legally work in the U.S**
About Reliance Games
At Reliance Games, we are committed to creating fun and engaging games for our fans across the globe.Come help us expand our mobile games studios.Reliance Games is a global mobile developer and publisher with more than 200 employees around the world with more than 250+ Million downloads and several successes in top downloads around the world, including; WWE Mayhem, Into the Badlands, Real Steel’s World Robot Boxing, Pacific Rim, Hunger Games, Drone: Shadow Strike, etc.
Reliance Games is the mobile gaming division of Reliance Entertainment Group whose subsidiaries include entities like Dreamworks SKG, IM Global and Codemasters. Currently operating 2 studios worldwide, the company has a strong, multi-disciplinary, and cross-skilled team spanning across the US and India.